The Akwa Ibom State Technical Schools Board was inaugurated on October, 25′, 1990 following the signing of Education Edict No 10 on August, 1990. The Board at inception was a part-time Board with a Chairman and two Members. There was, in addition an Executive Secretary as the Head of Administration in line with the N.B.T.E guideline. The status changed in 2006 to a full-time Board with an Executive Chairman in line with an Act of parliament which amended the Edict No. 10 of 1990
In terms of operations, the Board has six Directorates, three mandatory and three professional which are headed by seasoned professionals.
3. Planning, Research and Statistics
5. Schools Services
6. Library Services/Schools Sports
The Board has nine (9) Public Technical Colleges under its management, the Colleges are located at:
1. Government Technical College, Abak
2. Government Technical College, Ewet
3. Community Technical College, Ikot Akata
4. Union Technical College, Ikpa, Esit Eket
5. Mainland Technical College, Oron
6. Government Technical College, Ikot Uko, IKa
7. Government Technical College, Mbioto II, Etinan
8. Government Technical College, Effoi, Eket
9. Government Technical College, Ikot Udoe, Ikot Ekpene.
The total student’s populations in all the colleges for the year 2021/2022
school year is 11,068. Technical colleges have the responsibility to train
and produce middle level Technical manpower at craftsman and advanced
craftsman cadres for our emerging economics.
Programmes offered in the colleges
Core Technical/Vocational Education Programme and General Education Courses are currently being run in our colleges.
1. Motor Vehicle Mechanic Works
2. Electrical Installation and Maintenance
3. Fabrication and Welding
4. Mechanical Engineering Craft Practice
5. Electronics Works
6. Painting and Decorating
7. Refrigerating and Air-conditioning
8. Bricklaying and Blocklaying and concreting
9. Carpentry and joining
10. Furniture Making
11. Plumbing and Pipe-fitting
12. Catering craft practice
13. Business Studies
14. Information Communication Technology (ICT)
15. General Education Courses (English, Mathematics and Sciences).