Power & Functions of The Board
The Board was established as a part time Board by Edict No, 10 of 1990 with subsequent amendments in 2000 and 2005 with has resulted in its present status as a full time Board. The Board relies on some service instruments to carry out its functions effectively such as the Scheme of Service, Public Service Rules, Financial Regulations, Extant Circulars, Policy Directives and other service documents in service management.
The functions of the Board includes:
The Akwa Ibom State Edict No. 10 of 1990 allows the Board to:
- Manage, inspect, supervise and control Technical Colleges in the State
- Employ and discipline staff, deal with confirmation of Appointment, Conversion and Promotion.
- Receive and disburse grants to Technical Colleges and monitor its expenditure.
- Ensure that the national curriculum for various programmes are taught in Technical Colleges
- Pay salaries, fringe benefits and other remunerations to teachers and other staff of the Board.
- Receive tuition fees and other approved fees payable by the students in Technical Colleges.
- MaintainTechnical Colleges.
- Collect and provide nominal roll, statistics and other information with respect to Technical Colleges
- Promote the development and training go the Staff of the Board
- Ensure that course of instruction given in Technical Colleges conform with the National policy on Technical Education
- Provide guidelines for the choice of text books for use by Technical Colleges subject to the approval by the Ministry of Education
- Prescribe conditions under which persons may be admitted as students in Technical Colleges.
- Maintenance of comprehensive personnel records for the reaching and non-teaching staff
- Perform other functions as may be assigned to it by the State Ministry of Education.